Sunday, August 28, 2011

New Thing

This is a new thing I'm starting, but I don't know what to call it.  You guys can need to help me with a title.  The top one's I've thought of right now are:

'Sunday Replay'    'Sunday Power Play'    'Power Play Sunday'    'Sunday Take Away'    'Solemn Sunday'

So any of those, or anything else you guys can think of to call it, just leave a comment of what you like the most!

What I'm starting is simply a post each Sunday of what I learned that day, because I'm always enlightened each and every Sunday, and I love it.

Heavenly Father, the ultimate coach.

Something that's common between most coaches is yelling.  Why do they yell at the players who are trying their best?  I'll answer with a scripture: “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten" (Revelation 3:19). The coach simply wants the player to improve himself, so he let's him know what he's doing wrong.  The same thing happens with parents rebuking their children.  In his April 2011 General Conference talk, D. Todd Christofferson related this story:

President Hugh B. Brown, formerly a member of the Twelve and a counselor in the First Presidency, provided a personal experience. He told of purchasing a rundown farm in Canada many years ago. As he went about cleaning up and repairing his property, he came across a currant bush that had grown over six feet (1.8 m) high and was yielding no berries, so he pruned it back drastically, leaving only small stumps. Then he saw a drop like a tear on the top of each of these little stumps, as if the currant bush were crying, and thought he heard it say:  
“How could you do this to me? I was making such wonderful growth. … And now you have cut me down. Every plant in the garden will look down on me. … How could you do this to me? I thought you were the gardener here.” 
President Brown replied, “Look, little currant bush, I am the gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. I didn’t intend you to be a fruit tree or a shade tree. I want you to be a currant bush, and someday, little currant bush, when you are laden with fruit, you are going to say, ‘Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down.’” 
Years later, President Brown was a field officer in the Canadian Army serving in England. When a superior officer became a battle casualty, President Brown was in line to be promoted to general, and he was summoned to London. But even though he was fully qualified for the promotion, it was denied him because he was a Mormon. The commanding general said in essence, “You deserve the appointment, but I cannot give it to you.” What President Brown had spent 10 years hoping, praying, and preparing for slipped through his fingers in that moment because of blatant discrimination. Continuing his story, President Brown remembered: 
“I got on the train and started back … with a broken heart, with bitterness in my soul. … When I got to my tent, … I threw my cap on the cot. I clenched my fists, and I shook them at heaven. I said, ‘How could you do this to me, God? I have done everything I could do to measure up. There is nothing that I could have done—that I should have done—that I haven’t done. How could you do this to me?’ I was as bitter as gall. 
“And then I heard a voice, and I recognized the tone of this voice. It was my own voice, and the voice said, ‘I am the gardener here. I know what I want you to do.’ The bitterness went out of my soul, and I fell on my knees by the cot to ask forgiveness for my ungratefulness. … 
“… And now, almost 50 years later, I look up to [God] and say, ‘Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for cutting me down, for loving me enough to hurt me.’”
Remember, "Divine chastening has at least three purposes: (1) to persuade us to repent, (2) to refine and sanctify us, and (3) at times to redirect our course in life to what God knows is a better path."


 God does love us, and every trial that we go through will simply make us stronger.  You can never grow stronger if you don't get cut down a little along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment